Costco Kirkland Performance + Golf Ball (Version 3)
Golf Balls

Support our Mission. We independently test each product we recommend. When you buy through our links, we may earn a commission.

It’s shaping up to be a busy year for Costco’s golf division. (That’s one of the weirdest sentences I’ve ever written.)

Anyway, in addition to new wedges and new irons, it appears Version 3 of the Kirkland Signature Performance + Golf Ball (AKA: The K-Sig) is coming to market soon.

As is the case with its wedges, Costco’s website shows no inventory for the current Performance + V2 ball (or any other ball, for that matter) and recent entries on the USGA’s conforming ball list suggest that’s likely because a new Kirkland Signature golf ball model is on the way.

Kirkland Peformance + V3 – What We Know

What we know so far is that the new Kirkland ball is a three-piece offering that will be available in white and yellow.

I like having options so I suppose that last bit is cause for some degree of excitement.

A slight bummer is that we still don’t see a replacement for the original K-Sig four-piece ball. As you may recall, the follow-up suffered from a cover defect which resulted in full refunds for anyone who wanted them. Frankly, we expected the company would resolve the issue and have a new four-piece back on the market in short order but that hasn’t proven to be the case.

At the time of publication, Kirkland Signature Performance + golf balls are out of stock.

Golfers will no doubt want to see what performance changes Kirkland has made to the Performance + golf ball and we’ll certainly look to include it in our upcoming robot ball test.

While the current model ticks the value box and the quality was a step forward from the original, it remains excessively spinny (I suppose you could describe it as highly workable) and one of the absolute worst balls on the market in the wind.

The spin characteristics make the Kirkland Signature ball particularly punitive for golfers who struggle with more curvature than they’d like (that means you, slicers). That part should be relatively easy to address (though there’s no guarantee they will).

The wind performance issue may be tougher to resolve. That aspect of performance is almost entirely a result of the dimple pattern. If the dimples don’t change, the wind performance won’t, either.

Given that the new ball appears to offer the same 338-dimple cover as the previous model, the likelihood is that the new ball won’t be much much, if any, better in the wind.

The Kirkland Signature Performance + V3 golf ball will be available in yellow

Kirkland Performance + V3 – Still a Good Value (Probably)

On the positive side, the Kirkland Signature Golf ball is revered for its consumer-friendly price and there’s no reason to think that sub-$20 prices won’t continue with the new generation.

Will the new Kirkland Signature three-piece Performance + prove to be a top-performing ball?

Based on the performance characteristics of previous Kirkland three-piece models, that seems unlikely. My guess is it will remain a niche ball for really low-spin golfers. Although, given the value it offers golfers, I’d love to be wrong and find the new Kirkland Signature Performance + golf ball is a better fit for more golfers.

Regardless, we expect the K-Sig will continue to offer solid quality at an appealing price point. While it’s not a ball I would recommend in most cases, it will almost certainly remain a reasonable option for golfers who want to play a urethane ball on a basic ionomer budget.

More information as it becomes available.

For You

For You

Golf Shafts
Apr 14, 2024
Testers Wanted: Autoflex Dream 7 Driver Shaft
News
Apr 14, 2024
A Rare Masters ‘L’: Day Asked To Remove Sweater
Drivers
Apr 13, 2024
Testers Wanted: Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers
Tony Covey

Tony Covey

Tony Covey

Tony is the Editor of MyGolfSpy where his job is to bring fresh and innovative content to the site. In addition to his editorial responsibilities, he was instrumental in developing MyGolfSpy's data-driven testing methodologies and continues to sift through our data to find the insights that can help improve your game. Tony believes that golfers deserve to know what's real and what's not, and that means MyGolfSpy's equipment coverage must extend beyond the so-called facts as dictated by the same companies that created them. Most of all Tony believes in performance over hype and #PowerToThePlayer.

Tony Covey

Tony Covey

Tony Covey

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Sam Magnet

10 months ago

FWIW, the last batch of V2 balls I bought were made in Vietnam. The new black box says Made in China. I assume the balls are completely machine made from start to finish so you wouldn’t assume there was a lot of difference though I suppose the raw materials could be sourced from new places as well.

Daryl K

11 months ago

NEW V3 = LOWER SPIN. I bought a box of the new black V3’s and did a lot of informal on-course testing. In the past when I compared my low spin TM Tour Response to V2’s there was a super clear loss of 10ish yards on short irons and similar loss on mid irons so I stopped using them and stuck with the Tour Response. The V2’s were sometimes spinning so much they would hit front of green and spin back off. Comparing the new V3’s to the same Tour Response I struggled to see a clear difference hitting back to back irons several times which is fantastic news if accurate. I did not have enough shots for any judgement on driver. I have no feedback on wind performance and would defer to Tony’s comment. Obviously we need to see robot testing for final verdict but it sure appears they lowered the spin. Initially it seems the wear and tear is average (which I guess would be an improvement over V2?)

Carey

12 months ago

No, not yet.

Chic

10 months ago

Tony have you seen or know when the yellow kirkland balls will be available?

CrashTestDummy

12 months ago

I just checked the Costco website and they have some Kirkland Signature Performance balls with a new box, but Costco does not say they Version 3 and there is no yellow. If they are the new Version 3, there are being super low key about it on the webpage and not sure why they would do that.

The V2 was a very good ball in all metrics except lacked distance. V2 was quite a bit shorter for me off the driver and not sure if it was because of the higher spin or just lack of carry distance. I definitely want to try the V3 to compare it to the V2.

Todd

12 months ago

The black box is the v3 and you can tell the ball because the <> around the Performance+
      New box shows a red core vs a yellow core so not sure if that means anything. Will cut one after I play it.
      Hopeful, but not overly optimistic for this round. We will see.

Joe Fusco

12 months ago

I find Maxfli balls the best combination of price and performance. I have a low swing speed and get good distance from the Straightfli and Softfli. Still, PRO V1’s are the best if you can afford them.

ralph

12 months ago

Tried the V2 ball. It was/is not a good ball. I have played a lot of brands and this ball was underwhelming on distance, spin and feel around the greens. I won’t be using them anytime soon, even if I find one.

Henry V Fisher

12 months ago

Am in Houston, why NO left handed gloves, clubs????? Been hoping you would give us left-handers a break and put them in stores! Here’s hoping you change)add.

Scott

12 months ago

They’re in the business of making money they don’t really give a fuck a out customers.

scott

12 months ago

That’s a very odd statement, and a insight of the size of your IQ

Lou

12 months ago

Nice sentence Scott. Go back to school.

Swingharder

11 months ago

they are available on their website. Great gloves!

Jeff

12 months ago

The K-Sig ball fits within the whole Costco golf strategy – it’s for the ultra-casual golfer who either is getting into the game, doesn’t want to spend much, or just have something to hit the course with. I find lots of K-Sig balls around the course so I can attest that they are popular. But also read into it what you will that I’m finding lots of K-Sig balls.

Josh

12 months ago

You find lots of KSigs for the same reason tons of people play them – they’re disposable. Why bother looking for your slice into the woods when you can drop another and play on.

Patrick Drury

12 months ago

I will wait for the results of your robot test before I think about trying the new balls. I bought the last batch, and I couldn’t get rid of them fast enough. It seemed like playing into the slightest breeze caused the ball to balloon excessively. The “highly workable” came into play on almost any hole with a cross breeze. Yes, they were very inexpensive. But at a greater cost to my score than I care to pay. I have bought a dozen of the MaxFli Tour balls, looking forward to trying those.

bob

12 months ago

I have played with plenty of cost conscious golfers over the years who are really out there to slap a few shots around and have some drinks. This might be the market for the new ball if spin and wind are big issues for more discerning players. You would think Costco would go through some testing to make sure the new ball has more appeal on a quality/performance level even though they won’t get the Pro-V crowd. Maxfli has the best mix going right now when it comes to performance at a really nice price.

Flsw19

12 months ago

Finally in yellow. When I replenish. will give it a try.

Scott

12 months ago

My flight path & shot shape are inconsistent off the tee with driver so it was hard to judge if these were good for me or not. I did hit some absolute bombs on days when I was hitting it relatively straight and now that you mention wind, there was little to none. My iron approaches have an extremely high launch so the extra spin plus the sharp descent would make the ball stick almost as if it plugged. But those days when I was slicing and/or the wind was blowing, these things were like a kite.

LL

12 months ago

At that price point which ball would you recommend for quality performance (100mph swing speed driver) I would love to play pro v1’s but just can’t justify the price as a mid/high handicapper

Mike

12 months ago

You can find tons of pro v1 in mint condition online for at least half of what you’d pay new retail. (I know as I sell them on eBay). Not talking about refurnished or refurbished junk , most of the balls have sold. Look like they ‘ve maybe been hit once. I stopped paying retail for balls many years ago.

Mitch

12 months ago

As a Costco member I believe the first version of the Kirkland golf ball was best offering. It was a winner. Since then I have migrated over to the Taylor Made Tour Response in part of the review on this website. That high rating/review was well deserved. It is just my opinion (please don’t shoot the messenger) but if Costco and the Kirkland brand wish to carve a niche in this competitive golf industry it should start with a winning golf ball model. Add a Kirkland golf cap would be conversation starter on any tee box. Also the Kirkland golf gloves 4 pack are a winner and the Pebble Beach golf bags (outstanding). Then if you check out Rick Shiels Kirkland wedge review on YouTube he was also pretty positive. 3 wedges for the price of a single wedge at any retail outlet. Worth considering if you get in a lot of wedge play and want to swap out fresh wedges more often. Go Costco.

Carey

12 months ago

Picked up 2 dozen of V3 today and played a few holes this evening (pretty windy) and played both Pro V1 and the Kirkland balls… couldn’t tell much difference in terms of length from the tee… had several shots that were side by side in the fairway. (A couple of Kirklands that were actually longer). They were good around the greens and from 100 yards in as well. We’ll see… looking forward to these balls being tested.

Daniel

12 months ago

Did they have the yellow ones?

Leave A Reply

required
    required
    required (your email address will not be published)

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Golf Shafts
    Apr 14, 2024
    Testers Wanted: Autoflex Dream 7 Driver Shaft
    News
    Apr 14, 2024
    A Rare Masters ‘L’: Day Asked To Remove Sweater
    Drivers
    Apr 13, 2024
    Testers Wanted: Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers
    ENTER to WIN 3 DOZEN

Titleist ProV1 Golf Balls

Titleist ProV1 Golf Balls
    By signing up you agree to receive communications from MyGolfSpy and select partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy You may opt out of email messages/withdraw consent at any time.